Business Resources and Assistance

A healthy, collaborative and streamlined business climate for businesses of all sizes and entrepreneurs of all types - that's what the Business Coalition of Rockingham County is all about. Most people have heard the old saying, "the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts". In Rockingham County, we're putting that to action. By working together, our partner agencies are enhancing the economic development system by providing efficient access to information, relationships and technology. Whether starting, growing or moving a company, we are here to help you succeed. Let's grow Rockingham County together!

RCC Small Business Center 

The Rockingham Community College Small Business Center (SBC) is located in the Advanced Technologies Building room 107K. The SBC provides a range of services to small business owners, prospective owners and anyone who is determined to be a more successful and fulfilled person. The SBC at RCC is part of the North Carolina Small Business Center Network.

Small businesses are vital to Rockingham County and North Carolina. More than 97% of all North Carolina businesses employ less than 100 people and over 80% of all North Carolina businesses employ 20 workers or less. In the coming years, small businesses are expected to generate an additional 900,000 jobs in North Carolina. The SBC helps to foster that growth by offering assistance to small businesses and prospective small business owners through useful information, education and training, counseling and referral.

The SBC provides the following services:
Seminars and short courses for business owners and employees
Direct one-to-one assistance for small business owners and prospective owners
Networking opportunities
A resource and information bank
Partnerships with state agencies and other groups
Training and upgrading for the employees of small businesses

The Small Business Center at RCC is here to help you! For more information on our services and seminars, contact Vu Donie at 336.342.4261 ext. 2316 or

Local Resources

  • Chamber of CommerceThe Chambers work for your business through education, networking, legislative issues affecting business, newsletter and a wide variety of other benefits. To become a member or learn more about this dynamic business building organization call or email:

Reidsville Chamber                
(336) 349-8481     

Eden Chamber                      
(336) 623-3336    

Western Rockingham Chamber            
(336) 548-6248    

  • City GovernmentTo obtain a Privilege License and to determine if other local licenses are required, contact the local Business License Section of the Collections Division of the city in which your business is located:

(336) 349-1057   

(336) 623-2110   

(336) 427-0221          

(336) 427-0241  

(336) 573-9393   

(336) 342-6288  

  • Economic DevelopmentEconomic Development manages downtown revitalization programs, promotes local business development and advises on availability of business locations and local commercial opportunities:

Eden Business Dev.                 
(336) 623-3336

Reidsville Econ. Dev.               
(336) 347-2307

Reidsville Downtown Corp     
(336) 349-1045           

County Resources

  • Register New BusinessTo register your business in Rockingham County , contact the Register of Deeds Office for a Certificate of Assumed Name or the County Tax Department to determine if your business requires a Schedule B Privilege License:

Register of Deeds                      
(336) 342-8820

Tax Department                         
(336) 342-8280

  • Economic Development & TourismThe Partnership provides a full range of services to recruit new businesses and industries, assist existing industries with retention and expansion, and promote tourism throughout Rockingham County :

New & Existing Business           
(336) 342-8138

Existing Business                      
(336) 342-8138

(336) 342-8138

  • Business Counseling and TrainingTo obtain advice on how to start a business, training with tools to help you operate your business as well as ongoing business counseling with a business coach, contact the RC Business & Technology Center or the Small Business Center at Rockingham Community College:

Small Business Center                
(336) 342-4261

  • Food Business SupportTo obtain assistance with determining the facility, equipment and food handling requirements associated with starting a food business, contact:

Rockingham County Dept. of Environmental Health           
(336) 342-8180

North Carolina State Resources

  • Small Business & Technology Development CenterThe SBTDC focuses on providing management counseling to existing, high-growth and start-up businesses. For a free local consultation contact:

Triad SBTDC                                  
(336) 334-7005

  • Secretary of StateThe Secretary of State provides forms, fee schedules and guidelines for non-profit and for-profit businesses that wish to become incorporated in the State of North Carolina. If your business is already incorporated in North Carolina , you can contact them to learn how to file annual report information:

SOS Corporations Division             
(919) 807-2225

  • Department of CommerceTo determine if your business needs a license or permit in the State of North Carolina or to obtain one-on-one counseling and referrals to other state agencies and business resources call:

Business ServiCenter                      
(800) 228-8443

Piedmont Triad Regional Office of Melissa Smith     
(336) 668-0474

Withholding, Sales & Use                  
(877) 252-3052

NC State Privilege License                
(877) 308-9103

  • Employment Security Commission: If you will be hiring anyone for your business, you must apply with the ESC for an Unemployment Insurance Tax Account. You can download the form and instructions at or contact Raleigh , NC ESC with questions:

Employer Tax 
(919) 707-1150

  • Industrial CommissionBusinesses that employ 3 or more are required to provide workman's compensation coverage:

Workers' Compensation 
(800) 688-8349

  • Alcohol Law EnforcementIf you are serving or selling alcoholic beverages in the course of doing business, you must contact the following:

(336) 315-7070

  • NC State Industrial Extension ServiceProvides business support focused in the areas of lean enterprise, quality initiatives such as ISO management systems and Six Sigma, energy audits, health and safety management as well as the extensive resources available within the University.

Eden Office                              
(336) 362-5170

Federal Resources

  • Internal Revenue ServiceSole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations and organizations are required to file federal tax reports. Employers are typically responsible for three types of federal collections and payments: 1) Income tax withheld from employees wages, 2) (FICA) Social Security Tax and 3) (FUTA) Federal Unemployment Tax. For information on federal tax regulations call:

IRS for Businesses                        
(800) 829-4933

  • Immigration and Naturalization ServiceEvery employer must have an eligibility Verification Form (I-9) completed and on file for each employee. Download the form at or call for answers to questions at:

Customer Service Center            
(800) 375-5283

  • Department of LaborMinimum wage is currently $6.15 effective January 1, 2007. For additional information on covered employees, child labor, training, wages, tipped employees, polygraph testing, substance abuse, or hiring and firing contact:

Wage and Hourly Div.                    
(866) 487-9243